How to Get BBC iPlayer in USA – Watch outside UK
- 1 How to watch BBC iPlayer outside UK for expats – My Experience
- 2 How to Unblock BBC iPlayer outside the UK with VPN
- 3 How to Get BBC iPlayer in USA, Canada, or Australia with Proxies
- 4 How to Create BBC iPlayer Account outside UK?
- 5 VPN vs Smart DNS Proxies
- 6 BBC iPlayer Compatible Devices
- 7 How to Get BBC iPlayer App Abroad?
- 7.0.1 Get iPlayer App on Xbox One Abroad
- 7.0.2 Get iPlayer App on PS4/PS3 in USA, Canada, Australia
- 7.0.3 How to Get BBC App on iPhone, iPad, and AppleTV
- 7.0.4 How to Get iPlayer App on Roku
- 7.0.5 Get iPlayer App on Android outside UK
- 7.0.6 How to Install iPlayer on Samsung Smart TV
- 7.0.7 Install BBC on Sony Smart TV outside UK
- 7.0.8 Install iPlayer app on Fire Stick
- 8 How to Watch BBC iPlayer outside UK
How to watch BBC iPlayer outside UK for expats – My Experience
I remember when I was living in Qatar a lot of my UK expat friends used to talk about their favorite BBC soap operas, documentaries, and shows. For UK expats, it was not just about the shows. It was more about having a piece of home no matter where they were and about keeping up with local culture and news.
So I did sit together with my techie friends and looked into available solutions. We tested quite a bit of different setups and providers, but it was worth the effort as we all enjoyed BBC One, BBC Two, BBC Three, BBC Four, and CBeebies.
How to Unblock BBC iPlayer outside the UK with VPN
BBC iPlayer Geoblocked in USA, Canada, Australia
A VPN is short for virtual private network, a tool that can change your online location. It allows you to connect to any server of your choice, then reroutes your internet traffic through the one that you selected. Next, it hides your original IP address and replaces it with another one from the region of the server that you selected. So if you connect to a server from the United Kingdom, you’ll get a UK IP address.
This whole procedure will make it appear as if you were inside merry England and BBC iPlayer will have no choice but to unlock its content. Yes, it’s all very simple and just a few clicks away.
In fact, here’s exactly what you have to do:
- Choose a top VPN service and subscribe to it, but keep in mind that BBC iPlayer started banning VPN IP addresses. That is why you have to subscribe to a premium provider like ExpressVPN.
- Next, you must install the VPN application on your device. So head over to your app store and download it. VPNs are compatible with every major platform, including iOS, Android, PC, and Mac.
- Once the app is successfully installed, open it and log in.
- Connect to any server from the UK to get an IP address from the same region.
- Go to BBC iPlayer and watch your favorite show.
- If the geo-error message is still there (BBC iPlayer only works in the UK. Sorry, it’s due to rights issues), try connecting to another UK server.
- If you still can’t access the channel, then you have to choose another VPN provider.
Best VPN to Watch iPlayer outside the UK
Since BBC iPlayer is cracking down on most VPN services, you must stick to the ones that still work with the streaming channel. Those include paid providers like ExpressVPN, which has excellent features and can bypass geo-blocks from anywhere. I tried it myself when I was in Qatar and it worked perfectly.
Furthermore, the company offers a Smart DNS proxy service in case your device doesn’t have a VPN client. These include gaming consoles, smart TVs, and routers.
You can also try the other options from the below list. I assure you that all of them have no problem unblocking BBC iPlayer because I’ve tested them myself. And note that Hola VPN does not work with the streaming service, nor do most free VPNs.
How to Get BBC iPlayer in USA, Canada, or Australia with Proxies
BBC iPlayer Unblocked with VPN in USA, Australia, Canada
You can also use a Smart DNS proxy service such as Unlocator to unblock and watch BBC iPlayer outside the UK. If you prefer this method to get British TV overseas, follow these steps.
- Sign up with a Smart DNS proxy service that actually works with BBC iPlayer.
- You have to configure the Smart DNS manually on the streaming device you want to use because these proxies don’t have dedicated apps. You can use these setup guides and manuals to help you.
- Now, head over to BBC iPlayer and stream your favorite shows live and on-demand outside the UK.
As with VPN, there are bound to be some Smart DNS proxies that do not work well with BBC iPlayer. I have been using Unlocator for a couple of years now to unblock this service abroad on all my streaming devices. This includes my Smart TV, Roku, PS4, Apple TV, Chromecast, Android, and iOS devices.
The best thing about Unlocator is that you can subscribe to a free one week trial period to test their service, without the need to register your credit card.
How to Create BBC iPlayer Account outside UK?
Starting Thursday, May 11th, 2017, iPlayer users will be required to register and sign up for a BBC iPlayer account in order to watch live and catch-up content on BBC. Follow the instructions below to sign up for an account in the USA, Canada, Australia, or elsewhere outside the UK.
- Head over to the BBC iPlayer registration page.
- Enter your date of birth and click ‘Next‘.
- Now, enter your email address and your desired password. We strongly suggest using a temporary email address instead of your real email. You can get one at Guerrilla or Airmail.
- For ‘country,’ choose the United Kingdom.
- For ‘Postcode,’ enter WC1X 0AA
- Under ‘Want email updates about more things you’ll love?’ choose your preferred choice.
- Finally, click on ‘Register‘.
- That’s it. You’ll soon receive an email from BBC that will allow you to verify your email address and finish the registration.
VPN vs Smart DNS Proxies
Smart DNS providers such as Unlocator Smart DNS proxy are easy to set up and can get you up and running in seconds. All you have to do is sign up and add the DNS servers to your router or device.
- The two downsides are that you will only get the UK channels that are supported.
- Only the relevant part of your traffic is piped to the UK which speeds up the connection but does not encrypt all your traffic. Thus, your privacy is not ensured.
- You’ll have to use a VPN if your ISP applies DNS Hijacking or Transparent proxies as Smart DNS proxies won’t work for you.
- See Video and Picture guides for DNS setup here. Unlocator does support around 220 sites the last time I checked their channels page and they do have a free 7-day trial period.
VPN providers such as ExpressVPN Service allow you to choose from 300 different locations covering almost all countries globally, including the UK of course.
- All your traffic will be encrypted.
- Your ISP will NOT be able to monitor your browsing and Internet activities.
- Setup is easy as well thanks to VPN applications you can install on PC, iOS, Android, or Mac. The downside is that your device has to support VPN. This means that your Smart TV, for example, will not work, unless you have a router that does support VPN of course.
BBC iPlayer Compatible Devices
You can get the BBC iPlayer app on almost all streaming platforms.
- Now TV
- Apple TV 4
- Samsung Smart TV
- Sony Smart TV
- Amazon Fire TV
- LG Smart TV
How to Get BBC iPlayer App Abroad?
Once you set up a VPN service or a Smart DNS proxy on your device, you can access the BBC iPlayer website as if you were in the United Kingdom. In case you prefer watching live or catch-up TV overseas on other devices, follow these instructions:
Get iPlayer App on Xbox One Abroad
In order to install Hulu on your Xbox One, you have to change your gaming console’s region to the UK first. Follow these instructions.
Get iPlayer App on PS4/PS3 in USA, Canada, Australia
To install UK apps on your PlayStation console, you need to create a British PSN Account. Here’s how you can sign up for a UK Playstation Network account.
How to Get BBC App on iPhone, iPad, and AppleTV
First, simply register to a British iTunes account. Then, create a UK Apple ID (no need to use your credit card). If you have Apple TV, you have to follow the same procedure.
How to Get iPlayer App on Roku
To add British channels on your Roku device, you have to create a UK Roku account. Don’t know how? Then follow this simple guide on your Roku streaming device.
Get iPlayer App on Android outside UK
Essentially, you have to change your Google Play Store region to the UK. This will enable you to install British apps on your smartphone or tablet.
How to Install iPlayer on Samsung Smart TV
First, you must switch your Samsung Smart TV region to the UK. Then, you’ll be able to install all the UK-restricted channels you want like BBC iPlayer, ITV, Channel 4, BT Sport, and more.
Install BBC on Sony Smart TV outside UK
As with the Samsung Smart TV, you need to select the UK as your country to be able to install British channels on your Sony Smart TV.
Install iPlayer app on Fire Stick
You’ll need a British credit card and address to set up a UK Amazon account. Then, sign in to your new account and add whatever UK-restricted channel you want on your Fire TV Stick.
How to Watch BBC iPlayer outside UK
In short, given the info above you should be able to get BBC iPlayer outside the UK using VPN or Smart DNS. if you can’t get it to work or need any more advice or help, hit the comment box below. I will reply!