How to Get HBO Go in Canada, UK, Australia – Watch outside USA
In this guide, I will show you how to get HBO Go outside the USA. Find instructions on how to access geo-blocked US channels on PC, Mac, Android, Apple TV, iOS, Fire Stick, or Roku abroad.
- 1 Get HBO Go outside the USA – What do I need?
- 2 How to Get HBO Go in UK, Canada, Australia – VPN Solution
- 3 Best VPN for HBO Go – The Top Notch
- 4 Watch HBO Go outside the USA – The DNS Proxy Workaround
- 5 HBO GO SUPPORTED DEVICES
- 6 HOW TO GET HBO APP OUTSIDE USA?
- 7 How to Unblock HBO Go outside the USA – Try and Tell!
Get HBO Go outside the USA – What do I need?
- A valid subscription to a cable provider that supports HBO Go such as Verizon Fios.
- As I Mentioned above, HBO Go is not available outside the United States. That’s why you also need either Smart DNS or VPN subscription. If you approach the channel without any of those two, you’ll receive this geo-error message: “HBO Go is only supported in the U.S and certain U.S territories.”
- If you don’t own an American cable subscription, sign up for HBO Now instead. It’s a stand-alone VOD channel which basically provides the same content as HBO Go. However, you can sign up with HBO Now without the need for a cable provider.
How to Get HBO Go in UK, Canada, Australia – VPN Solution
VPN stands for Virtual Private Tunnel. Once you establish a VPN connection, all your traffic will be encrypted and tunneled to a server in a country of your choice. VPN practically shields your traffic from sniffing and monitoring. All the sites of the VPN server country are unblocked. So if you choose USA as your VPN connection, you will be able to unblock HBO GO, Fox, Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime overseas. Here’s how you can use VPN to get HBO Go outside the USA.
- First, sign up with a VPN provider from the list below. Do not use free VPNs as they seldom work and actually jeopardize your online security.
- Download, install and launch the VPN app on your PC, Mac, iPhone, iPad, or Android. You can find the application on the website of the VPN service you just registered with.
- Sign into the app using your VPN account.
- Then, connect to an American VPN server from within the VPN application.
- Finally, watch HBO Go as if you were in the United States. This is what it looks like after the geo-ban gets lifted.
I highly recommend using ExpressVPN to bypass geographic restrictions and access American channels abroad. They have excellent customer support and provide a 30-day refund guarantee. Feel free to use any of these VPN providers to watch HBO Go outside the USA.
Best VPN for HBO Go – The Top Notch
When you search for a VPN service, you need to consider the quality and if that VPN satisfies your online needs. Never and I repeat, never trust a VPN that offers its services for free. They’re pretty dangerous and might compromise your online privacy. How do you think such VPNs pay their dues by the end of the day? They leech on your browsing activities and sell them to sister companies for revenue, that’s how. With that said, here are the top VPN providers for HBO Go.
When we speak about top VPNs, ExpressVPN has to be mentioned first. It’s been in the industry for years now and has proven to be one of the most reliable VPNs out there. Based in the British Virgin Islands, ExpressVPN offers a server network of 2000+ servers around the world. They’re strategically placed in 92+ countries and can grant you around 200,000 IP address to cloak your identity. As for security, this VPN protects your data using none other than the famous 256 bit AES encryption.
Wherever you may be, even if you reside in highly censored countries, ExpressVPN offers you stealth servers to rely on when you’re surfing the web. To top that, it allows up to 5 simultaneous connections at once. That means you can share a VPN connection with two other users if it came to that. Take some time and learn more about this robust VPN in this ExpressVPN Review.
NordVPN is a capable one for sure. I mean this VPN has the largest server network of all the VPNs that you may find on the market. We’re talking about 5000+ servers across 62 countries. On the other hand, security-wise, NordVPN has some exclusive features to protect its customers. Two worthy of mentioning are Double VPN and CyberSec. The first one routes your data through two servers instead of one. Do you know what that means? Your data will get double the security provided through Nord’s 256 bit AES encryption.
As for CyberSec, you can rest assured that no malware will be infecting your device as long as you’re connected. NordVPN also allows for up to 6 simultaneous connections. To see what else this provider has up its sleeves, take a look at our NordVPN Review.
BulletVPN is a well-known provider that is sure to offer reliable services when it comes to security. If you’ve read anything about this provider, you’ll notice that it doesn’t have a large server network. It only covers 30 countries. However, they’re based in highly demanded regions including the US and the UK. Not to mention that it’s capable of unblocking US Netflix where others tried and failed.
Like most other providers, BulletVPN allows for up to 5 multiple devices and supports VPN protocols such as PPTP, L2TP/IPSec, IKEv1/2 and OpenVPN. It also offers a Smart DNS feature for users that only prefer to unblock restricted content and don’t really have much need for online security. To know more about this credible VPN, take a look at our full BulletVPN Review.
Last but not least we have SurfShark, the new kid on the block. Although it’s not that old when it comes to comparing it with the others, this VPN comes with a lot of promise. First, you have to know that it offers unlimited simultaneous connections. Share a VPN connection with all your family and friends while paying for one account only.
The service also includes 800+ servers in its network, which is a pretty decent number considering that it’s new. Moreover, SurfShark supports OpenVPN and IKEv1/v2 as VPN protocols and offers a kill switch. It also upholds a very strict zero logging policy. I’m quite sure that in the upcoming years, this VPN will go head to head with the giants in the industry. See for yourself, check out this SurfShark Review.
Watch HBO Go outside the USA – The DNS Proxy Workaround
Smart DNS Proxies are relatively new to the market. A good Smart DNS proxy will only take the smallest amount of your traffic that is tagged for geolocation uses and redirect that traffic to a server in the USA in case of HBO Go or Netflix.
- Smart DNS is very flexible and supports multiple geographic locations at once. In other words, you can use one Smart DNS proxy setup to unblock geo-blocked channels from different regions simultaneously.
- Another feature of Smart DNS is that it is compatible with all devices since all devices. See Video and Picture guides for setup here.
- Unlike VPN, Smart DNS does not hide your IP address or encrypt your traffic i.e. your ISP can still see what you are doing online.
I personally make use of an efficient Smart DNS service called Unlocator. If you wish to try them out, they do provide a free “no strings attached” 7-day trial. That is all you need to be up and running in a few minutes tops from subscription to trial.
HBO GO SUPPORTED DEVICES
You can get HBO on the following streaming platforms.
- Amazon Fire TV
- Xbox One
- Xbox 360
- Apple TV
- Blu-Ray Players
- Smart TV
HOW TO GET HBO APP OUTSIDE USA?
Once you set up VPN or Smart DNS proxies on your streaming device, you can access the HBO website as if you were in the United States. Installing the HBO GO app outside the USA on other devices, however, requires you to follow these steps:
- Get HBO App on Xbox One
- In order to install the HBO GO app on your Xbox One, you have to change your gaming console’s region to the USA first. Follow these instructions.
- Get HBO GO App on PS4/PS3
- To install American apps on your PlayStation console, you need to create an American PSN Account. Here’s how you can sign up for a US PlayStation Network account.
- How to Get HBO GO App on iPhone, iPad
- In order to be able to install US apps on iOS devices, you have to sign up for an American iTunes account first. Follow this guide to sign up for an American Apple ID without the need for a credit card.
- How to install American apps on Apple TV
- As with iOS devices, you have to create a US Apple ID account to access the American iTunes store on your Apple TV. Use these steps.
- How to Get HBOGO App on Roku
- Here’s how you can sign up for a US Roku account and ultimately get American channels on your Roku streaming device.
- Get HBO App on Android
- Essentially, you have to change your Google Play Store region to USA. This will enable you to install American apps on your smartphone or tablet.
- How to Install HBO on Samsung Smart TV
- Follow this guide to change your Samsung Smart TV region to the USA. Afterward, you can add US channels such as HBO GO, Amazon Prime, Vudu, and Hulu to your Smart TV Hub.
- Install HBO GO on Sony Smart TV outside the USA
- Go through this guide to change your Sony Smart TV country to the USA and install American apps on it outside the US.
- Install HBO app on Fire Stick
- In order to be able to add American apps to your Fire TV, you have to set up an American Amazon account using a US credit card and address. Once done, use that account to sign into your Fire TV Stick.
How to Unblock HBO Go outside the USA – Try and Tell!
Whether you choose VPN or DNS to unblock HBO is up to you. You can use either solution to get HBO Go in Canada, UK, Australia, Europe, or elsewhere abroad. VPN provides you with easy-setup and extra privacy. Smart DNS, on the other hand, can be configured on more streaming devices. For more info and instructions, feel free to leave a comment below.