Did you know that you can access HBO’s streaming service – HBO Go – on your Xbox One? Yeah, that means instant streaming to all of HBO’s library of amazing series, breathtaking movies, original documentaries, and much more. However, that’s a privilege only viewers residing in the US can benefit from. If you’re living abroad, follow this guide and learn how to watch HBO Go on Xbox One outside the US.
How to Watch HBO Go on Xbox One Outside the US
Before We Begin
HBO Go is the channel’s answer to the streaming revolution. It provides convenient access to all of HBO’s content for free to its subscribers. Unfortunately, at this point, it is only available for those who have an HBO cable subscription. This means that there’s no other way to get a hold of such a channel.
Another availability issue is that HBO Go is not accessible outside the United States. Although you can find its app on major operating systems, including Xbox One, you’ll have a hard time locating it in your app store while abroad. If you have an Xbox One, you need to change your region in order to download the app on your device.
Even if you got it, you won’t be able to stream its content as it will block you on the spot. Here’s what you get when you try to view HBO Go outside the United States:
“Not in service area. HBO Go is only supported in the U.S and certain U.S territories.”
Imagine you’re all set to binge watch your favorite show and this happens. How annoyed will you be? Don’t worry, I got you covered. You can watch HBO Go anywhere in the world if you install a VPN on your Xbox One.
How to Watch HBO Go on Xbox One with a VPN
A VPN is a software that encrypts your data before your ISP gets a hold of it. All your internet traffic will be rechanneled through one of the VPNs servers in a specific location. This means that any online destination you go to will see your data as coming from that server and its location, not from your computer or actual whereabouts.
This is the perfect way to watch HBO Go outside the US as you can make it look like you’re browsing the web from that territory. Just connect to an American server and you’ll receive a US IP address. Now, along with your cable subscription, you can stream HBO Go on your Xbox without a hitch in the road. Here’s what you need to do:
- First, sign up with a VPN service provider. You can try ExpressVPN out. It’s one of the best VPNs for HBO Go.
- Xbox One is not compatible with VPNs. You have two options:
- Install the VPN on your router.
- Turn your PC or Mac into a virtual router. (This way you can share a VPN connection from your devices).
- Sign in with your VPN account and connect to a US server.
- Wait a few seconds until you make sure that the connection was established.
- Once done, launch HBO Go on your Xbox and stream its content wherever you are.
ExpressVPN is one of the few VPNs that can unblock channels like US Netflix and HBO Go overseas. To add a cherry on top, the VPN offers a 30-day money back guarantee, which means you can take it for a test drive before making up your mind. To know more, check out the table of the best VPNs for Xbox One in the table below.
HBO on Xbox One Abroad – Smart DNS Proxy
A VPN is not the only way to get HBO Go outside the United States. In other words, you don’t need to mask your IP address to operate with HBO on Xbox. All you have to do is change DNS settings on your Xbox One by using a Smart DNS service.
It’s a completely different approach as Smart DNS only changes the part in the URLs that help HBO Go determine your location. Once set up, you’ll be able to access the channel while being able to view your local ones as well.
When it comes to your connection, you’ll be streaming at full speed since your data doesn’t get encrypted while using Smart DNS. However, you’ll be browsing the internet without that extra layer of protection a VPN provides you with. I guess it’s still a great option for users who value streaming over their own security and privacy.
Take a look at what Smart DNS Proxy offers:
- Compatible Platforms: You can configure DNS on all devices that can connect to the internet. That includes Xbox One, PC, Mac, PlayStation 4, and more.
- Unaffected Speed: No traffic encryption means no drop in connection speed. You can binge-watch your favorite episodes without any buffering problem.
- Easy Setup: Very simple configuration process. Every Smart DNS service includes guides to help users out while setting up DNS on their devices.
- Access Blocked Channels: Some Smart DNS providers can unblock hundreds of channels around the world. Remember, Smart DNS only bypasses regional restrictions. You’ll still need a cable subscription for services like HBO Go.
I’ve come across dozens of Smart DNS services, most of them were pretty great. However, Unlocator stood tall in the end as it unblocks more than 233 channels around the world. You should give it a try, there’s a 7-day trial in case you want to check out its service first. But in general, it’s still one of the best Smart DNS services out there.
HBO Go – What to Watch
If you don’t know where to start, here are the top shows you’ll find on HBO Go:
- The Wire
- Silicon Valley
- Sex and the City
- Generation Kill
- Six Feet Under
- Game of Thrones
- The Sopranos
- True Blood
- Big Little Lies
- True Detective
- Curb Your Enthusiasm
- The Leftovers
- Band of Brothers
- The Newsroom
- The Night Of
- Boardwalk Empire
- Room 104
How to Watch HBO Go on Xbox One Outside the US – Final Words
Streaming HBO content on Xbox One can be pretty daunting. However, you have a solution now. You know that Winter is Coming right? Then why don’t you do something about it? Get yourself a VPN and watch HBO Go on Xbox One outside the US anytime. Those who watch HBO on PlayStation 4 are no better than you. Keep the rivalry between the consoles even.