How to watch American channels on Roku Ultra outside USA? So, you’ve bought yourself a Roku Ultra. If you’re living outside USA, you’re probably wondering how to get the most out of your new 4K streaming device. In terms of streaming channels, you can get hundreds of channels on Roku if you live in the USA. In this help guide, I will show you how to create the necessary American Roku account to get those apps. You can also learn how to use VPN or Smart DNS proxies to unblock US channels on Roku Ultra in Canada, Germany, UK, Australia, Mexico, or elsewhere abroad.
Watch American Channels on Roku Ultra outside USA
How to Get American Channels on Roku Ultra outside USA
The process of getting US channels on Roku Ultra is divided into two steps. The first steps requires you to create an American Roku account. Otherwise, you will not be able to add US apps to your Roku. The second step basically involves setting up Smart DNS or VPN in order to watch American channels on Roku Ultra outside USA. So, here’s how you can register for an American Roku account abroad.
- First, setup VPN or Smart DNS on your PC/Mac. This is a crucial step. Without it, Roku will flag your account as non-US.
- Now, head over to https://my.roku.com/index and choose ‘Create account’.
- Then, fill in the required information and then click ‘Continue’.
- Next, choose a Pin and click ‘Continue’.
- On the next page, you have to payment options: Paypal or Credit Card.
- If you already own a Paypal account use the Paypal payment option. Your Paypal country does not affect your Roku account.
- Use a valid US address to create your American Roku account. You can use California as your state and 90210 as your zip code.
- If you choose Credit card as your payment option, you have to use your own street address that is associated with your credit card.
- Then, you need to convert the postal code into a valid zip code.
- Keep note of the City associated with the new zip as it is required for the Roku account setup.
- To create a valid zip code, take the digits from your postcode. The postal code M1Z4L3 becomes 143. Add zeros to the end if you have less than 5 digits in your postal code. So the 143 becomes ZIP 14300.
- Now that you have finalized your Roku account, reset your Roku streaming device to factory settings. Then, use the newly created American Roku account on your Roku device.
How to Add American Channels to Roku Ultra outside USA
Now that you have registered your US Roku account and used it to sign into your Roku Ultra, it’s time to add US channels like HBO Now, Hulu, Sling TV, and Amazon Prime.
- Press the ‘Home’ button on your remote to open the main screen.
- Scroll down and select ‘Streaming Channels’ to access the Channel Store.
- Search for the channel you wish to add.
- Once you find the channel, press ‘OK’ on your remote control.
- Finally, select ‘Add Channel’ to install the channel on your Roku device.
Using VPN to Watch US Channels on Roku Ultra Overseas
The final step to watch the American channels you have just added to your Roku Ultra involves spoofing your online location. This can be done in two ways. The first is by using a virtual private network, also known as VPN. Geo-restricted channels like Hulu, HBO GO, or Sling TV check your IP address in order to determine whether you are eligible to watch their content or not. VPN allows you to get an American IP address even if you don’t live in the USA. This, in turn, trick these geoblocked channels to believe you currently reside in USA.
- You can bypass geo-restrictions imposed on all US channels using VPN.
- VPN also provides you with extra privacy and security online. All your Internet traffic is encrypted.
- VPN cannot be directly installed on the Roku itself. You need to setup your VPN connection on a compatible router.
- If you decide you configure VPN on your router, all the streaming devices connected to that router will share its VPN connection, including the Roku Ultra.
You’ve probably bought yourself a Roku Ultra for its 4K streaming feature. That’s why it is critical to sign up with a VPN provider with fast VPN servers such as ExpressVPN. We have reviewed quite a lot of VPN services. Here’s our list of the best and fastest VPN providers you can use to unblock American channels on Roku Ultra.
Unblock US Channels on Roku Ultra Outside USA with Smart DNS
If you’re not too bothered about getting your Internet traffic encrypted, use Smart DNS instead of VPN. While this option lacks the extra privacy features of VPN, it’s still cheaper. You won’t get to decide which channels you get to unblock either as those are determined by the Smart DNS proxy service you are using. However, as with VPN you need to install Smart DNS on your router. There’s no way to configure Smart DNS on a Roku as its network settings are locked.
- It has to be mentioned that you’re more likely than not will be able to configure Smart DNS on your router. The process mainly involves changing your primary and secondary DNS server addresses. Anyone who has fiddled with network settings before should know how to do that. If not, check these videos and setup guides.
- The new primary and secondary DNS server addresses you need to use are provided to you by the Smart DNS proxy service you sign up with.
- Make sure that your Smart DNS proxy service actually supports unblocking American channels on Roku before you register with them.
Unlocator is a Smart DNS proxy service that actually supports unblocking American channels on Roku Ultra. You can watch HBO GO, Sling TV, Amazon Prime, Hulu, ABC Go outside USA and many more using their DNS servers. Signing up for a 7-day trial is free and you don’t need you credit card to complete the registration.
How to Get American Channels on Roku Ultra Abroad
Here’s a summary of all the required steps you have to follow to unblock US channels on your Roku Ultra overseas.
- First, sign up with a VPN provider or Smart DNS proxy services.
- Setup VPN or Smart DNS on your router.
- Create your American Roku account if you don’t already own one.
- Reset your Roku Ultra device and use your newly created US Roku account to sign into it.
- Add your favorite US channels to your Roku device.
- Watch American channels on Roku Ultra outside USA.
If you need help with any of these steps, just drop a comment below and I’ll do my best to lend you a helping hand. If you do end up using ExpressVPN or Unlocator to watch American channels on Roku Ultra, let me know how it goes.