Bypass MLB Blackout using VPN or Smart DNS Proxy
Update: After the latest at BAT app update, the app forces use of GPS on iPhone and iPad, the only two options to overcome are either a jail broken iOS device with a GPS spoofing app. Or using an iTunes back up to roll back to an older BAT app. The same goes for Android, Amazon Fire TV, and FireStick.
MLB.TV Blackout Bypass – The basics
As per MLB.com “Regular Season Local Live Blackout: All live games on MLB.com At Bat™ are subject to local blackouts. “Due to Major League Baseball exclusivities, live games occurring each Saturday with a scheduled start time after 1:10 PM ET or before 7:05 PM ET and each Sunday with a scheduled start time after 5:00 PM ET, will be blacked out in the United States.”
Here’s a list of MLB blackout errors you can get when trying to watch your favorite baseball team online.
“We’re sorry. We have determined that you are located inside one of the applicable Club’s home television territories and are therefore blacked out of watching the game you selected. Live Audio of this game is available as part of your MLB.TV subscription.”
“Media Error. This game is temporarily unavailable. Please try again in a few moments.”
“We’re sorry. The broadcasters’ required blackout checks cannot be performed at this time. Please try again in a few moments.”
Such live games will be blacked out in each applicable Club’s home television territory (except for certain home television territories for which MLB.com At Bat™ may offer in-market subscription services). If a game is blacked out in an area, it is not available for live game viewing”. So in essence, you need to appear to be coming from a location that is not Canada or USA to avoid a MLB blackout. See below for more info on the two methods available to bypass the blackouts and the teams it works on.
Phoenix, ArizonaAtlanta Braves
Boston Red Sox
Chicago White Sox
Kansas City Royals
Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
Los Angeles Dodgers
Milwaukee, WisconsinMinnesota Twins
New York Mets
New York Yankees
San Diego Padres
San Francisco Giants
St. Louis Cardinals
Tampa Bay Rays
Toronto Blue Jays
MLB.TV BAT Blackout and GPS Location
One other notable thing is that a lot of apps including iPad and iPhone BAT apps use GPS location services to determine location. This breaks both of the solutions below. A workaround fix for this is to remove and reinstall the BAT app. Upon opening after reinstall when asked whether you want to allow or deny access to location services please choose DENY.
MLB.TV Blackout Workaround Using VPN
VPN, short for Virtual Private Network, can be used to pipe all your traffic through a server not in the USA or Canada. VPN will work on all of your handheld devices and computers. It will also work for all your household devices if you do have a VPN enabled router. Basically, VPN allows you to spoof your location online and trick MLB to think you reside outside USA. Follow the instructions below to bypass MLB blackout restrictions using VPN.
- Sign up with a VPN from the list below.
- Download, install, and launch the VPN app on your PC, Mac, iPhone, iPad, or Android.
- Sign into the app using your VPN account.
- Then, connect to a VPN server that is not located in the United States or Canada.
- Now head over to the MLB.tv website or launch the MLB at Bat app.
- Finally, watch any MLB game you want, blackout-free.
The following VPN providers are my top choices when it comes to MLB.tv blackouts workarounds. ExpressVPN top the list because of their top-notch customer support and 30-day refund guarantee.
MLB.TV Blackout Fix Using Smart DNS Proxy
A Smart DNS Proxy only redirects part of your traffic and works on all devices. If you want to bypass MLB blackouts the supported devices Apple TV,iOS, Smart TV,PS3, PS4, Roku,WD TV, Xbox 360, Xbox one, PC, and Mac. So more or less all devices. You can use the following steps to avoid MLB blackouts using Smart DNS proxies.
- Sign up with a Smart DNS proxy service that supports bypassing MLB blackout restrictions.
- Then, setup Smart DNS on your streaming device.
- Now, go to the MLB website or launch the app and sign in using your MLB.tv account.
- Finally, watch any MLB game you want, blackout-free.
I have been using a Smart DNS proxy service called Unlocator for a couple of years now. They’re probably the best Smart DNS you can use to get around MLB, NBA, NHL, and even NFL blackouts in USA or Canada. You can sign up for a free 7-day Unlocator trial without the need to register a credit card. to setup and support is great.
MLB.TV Supported Devices
Below is a list of all the device you can install the MLB.tv app on.
- Apple TV
- Amazon Fire TV
- Xbox One
- Xbox 360
- Samsung Smart TV
- Sony Smart TV
- LG Smart TV
- WD TV
Bypass MLB Blackout Restrictions – Tips & Tricks
- If you are watching MLB.TV on your PC or Mac, make sure to clear your browser’s cookies and refresh the page the game is on after you setup VPN or Smart DNS.
- In case you use VPN, always connect to the same VPN server when you want to watch blacked out games.
- On your Samsung Smart TV, you might need to uninstall and then re-install the MLB app in order to successfully avoid MLB blackouts.
- If you use Smart DNS to watch blackout games, you will not lose access to other American channels, even after you configure Smart DNS on your device.
- You can use your exciting MLB account in addition to VPN or Smart DNS i.e. there is no need to sign up for a new MLB.tv account.
- In case you do run into any issues, always contact your VPN or Smart DNS service support first.
Avoid MLB Blackout – Conclusion
In short, both VPN and Smart DNS will allow you to watch blacked out games regardless of where you currently live. What of those you choose is your call. Check the benefit lists, and make your call. Both are extremely easy to setup and configure. If you have any feedback, please share it in the comment boxes below.