How to hide IP address on Apple TV? The type of person who would enjoy Apple TV would be someone who is immersed in the Apple community. Someone who is already used to buying movies and shows from iTunes and the kind of person who knows that when it comes to Apple products, iTunes stands in the middle. Apple TV would make a great addition to Apple users’ TV room especially those who are low on entertainment. This device is the entertainment hub they need to liven up their streaming experience. It offers the most popular apps and lets you enjoy movies and shows in 4K HDR.
How to hide IP address on Apple TV
But, as well know, the best services the likes of Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. are restricted to US residents. Meaning, Apple TV users won’t be able to access any of them if they’re trying to connect from outside the US. Well, we wouldn’t want your Apple TV to go to waste. You bought this product for streaming purposes, and streaming you shall have! All you need to do is to change your Apple TV region and then hide your Apple TV IP address. For that, you’ll need a VPN. Sounds complicated? Don’t worry, we’ll walk you through it. Learn how to hide your IP on Apple TV to get the most polished streaming experience ever.
- 1 How to Hide IP Address on Apple TV Using a VPN
- 2 How to Hide IP on Apple TV Using Router
- 3 How to Hide IP Address on Apple TV- Virtual Router Method
- 4 Best Streaming Channels on Apple TV
- 5 How to Hide IP Address on Apple TV
How to Hide IP Address on Apple TV Using a VPN
The core purpose of using a VPN lies in its ability to provide its users with network anonymity. However, in the cases of Apple TV and other streaming devices, priorities change as bypassing geo-restrictions becomes the main goal. Accessing Netflix USA, Hulu and other services become users’ main target and the reason why they try to install VPN on Apple TV in the first place. If you’re having a hard time picking a VPN, this article best VPN for Apple TV will help you out. Apple TV does not have a VPN client, which means installing one of its apps directly on the Apple TV doesn’t work. But, we wouldn’t be writing this article if the VPN method doesn’t work entirely. Here are the three ways you can use in order to get a VPN on your Apple TV.
- Setup VPN on your router.
- Setup VPN on your PC/Mac and use it as a WiFi Hotspot.
- Use a VPN service that offers Smart DNS proxy service.
How to Hide IP on Apple TV Using Router
While this is an effective method to get a VPN connection running through your Apple TV, not all routers are VPN-ready. You will need either a DD-WRT or a Tomato based router in order to install a VPN. Now, if you so happen to own a VPN compatible router, (and after installing a VPN on it) all the devices that are connected to that router will share its VPN connection. Your Apple TV included. With a VPN running in the background, you get to connect to the server of the country where the channel/service you’re trying to access is based. The VPN will connect your device to that server, and you will get the IP of that server (in the country you chose). As a result, you’ll obtain a new IP, and your identity will be hidden online.
How to Hide IP Address on Apple TV- Virtual Router Method
With this method, to hide your IP address on your Apple TV, you first have to download and install the VPN app on your PC or Mac. After that, you choose one the many serves offered by your service provider and connect to one. Consequently, you turn your PC/Mac into a virtual router and then connect your Apple TV to it.
- On your Mac, go to the System Preferences menu, then click on Sharing.
- In the Sharing menu, select Internet Sharing from the left panel. The Internet Sharing options will appear on the right side of the screen. Set the following settings:
- Share your connection from [the L2TP VPN connection you just created]
- To computers using: check the box for Wi-Fi
- Select Wi-Fi Options and enter the following details:
- Network Name: [choose a network name]
- Channel: [leave as default]
- Security: WPA2 Personal
- Password: [choose a password]
- Verify: [re-enter your password]
- Then click OK.
- On the Sharing menu, check the box next to Internet Sharing. You will see a prompt asking you to turn on Internet sharing. Click Start.
- When Internet Sharing has been activated, a green light will appear next to the text: “Internet Sharing: On”.
- Now, turn on your Apple TV and go to Settings -> Network -> WiFi.
- Connect to the WiFi network you have created on your Mac.
Follow the steps below before launching the VPN connection on your PC.
- On your PC, type Windows + S to launch the search bar,
- Then type cmd to bring up Command Prompt. Right-click Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
- Type the following:netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=NETWORKNAME key=PASSWORD
- Name your virtual router by setting the following values:
- ssid=[choose a name for your network]
- key=[choose a password for your network]
- Hit Enter.
- You will then see the following message:
- The hosted network mode has been set to allow.
- The SSID of the hosted network has been successfully changed.
- The user key passphrase of the hosted network has been successfully changed.
- To start your virtual router, type the following in the command prompt:
- netsh wlan start hostednetwork
- Hit Enter.
- If the virtual router starts successfully, you will see a message that says, “The hosted network started.”
- Now go to “Open Network and Sharing Center” by right-clicking your WiFi icon from the right bottom corner of your screen.
- Go to “Change adapter settings”.
- Right-click on the VPN connection you’ve created previously and go to “Properties”.
- Go to the “Sharing” tab.
- Check on the checkbox next to “Allow Other Network User to connect through this computer’s Internet connection”.
- Check on the checkbox next to “Allow other network users to control or disable the shared Internet connection”.
- Under “Home Network Connection” select the connection you’ve just created.
- Click OK.
- Now, turn on your Apple TV and go to Settings -> Network -> WiFi.
- Connect to the WiFi network you have created on your Windows PC.
How to Hide IP Address on Apple TV Using a Smart DNS Proxy
Getting a VPN that offers a Smart DNS proxy would be like killing two birds with one stone. If the VPN-related methods we’ve provided you with above seem to be confusing, drop them and make use of the Smart DNS. You can directly configure Smart DNS on your Apple TV without having to change the settings on your PC, Mac or router. It’s important to note, however, that a Smart DNS hides the IP of the streaming service you wish to have access to.
ExpressVPN is among the few service providers that come with a Smart DNS option. If a VPN is not what you’re looking for, you can try Unlocator. It’s a Smart DNS proxy service that offers a free 7-day trial and helps you bypass geo-restrictions.
- On your Apple TV Menu choose the “Settings” option
- Select “Network”
- Click on the Wi-Fi button at the top
- Choose your Network
- This will take you to your Wi-Fi configuration where you will see configure DNS option at the bottom of the page
- Confirm that you want to set DNS manually
- Select configure DNS option and select Manual then enter the DNS Number you have obtained from your VPN or Smart DNS provider.
- Restart the Apple TV.
Best Streaming Channels on Apple TV
Here’s a list of the most viewed channels on Apple TV:
- Amazon Prime Video
- HBO Go
- ABC Go
- Now TV
- BBC iPlayer
- Fubo TV
How to Hide IP Address on Apple TV
Hiding your IP address on Apple TV becomes a necessity when streaming geo-blocked content is the intent behind the product’s purchase. But, whatever your reasons may be, rest assured that hiding your IP is possible. It also shouldn’t be that difficult- after reading this article – to set up a VPN or configure a Smart DNS on your Apple TV. Let us know in the comment section below which method will you follow to hide your IP address on your Apple TV.